sign up for our
NEWSLETTER

Home Shop Subscribe Advertise Articles Directories Classifieds Calendar FAQs Contact Us Login
EMAILS
Scan Your Spam - You Might Be
Missing Important Info & Jobs

December 23, 2013

By Dave Courvoisier
Voice Actor & TV News Anchor

This is gonna sound like someone reminding you to wear your seat belt, brush your teeth, and plug in your charger. 

Yesterday, I checked my emailís spam filter folder for the first time in ó months?Öand found two job offers. 

What have I been missing? Among the supposedly unwanted, automatically diverted emails were: 
  • notices I shouldíve seen,
  • personal emails from friends, and
  • offers that I certainly would want to consider.
Most email programs are pretty sophisticated. Outlook, Thunderbird, Gmail, etc. The refinement of the settings on these programs are amazing. 

I use Zoho mail to handle my main CourVO.com email, and like the other programs I just mentioned, itís highly configurable.

I can white-list addresses I want to make sure get through, black-list those I donít want to be seen, and automatically shuttle regularly repeating mail from predictable sources to certain folders.

MANY EMAILS MISSED


Now Iím finding out (rough estimate) itís right 80% of the time.  Maybe. Can you afford to miss the other 20% sight-unseen? I canít.

As much as I sometimes hate the drudgery of traipsing through email every day, this is how Iíve set up my business. Itís email-centric. 

Email is SO important to my marketing, communications, and daily to-doís that canít afford for any part of that process to be deficient. 

So now I have an added another daily duty to make absolutely sure the system works. Itís gonna amount to what?Öan extra five minutes every day?

Worth it. Worth it for the $1,000+ job I just found. How about you?
------------------
ABOUT DAVE
Dave Courvoisier is an Emmy Award-winning broadcaster, writer, producer, voice actor, and the main weeknight news anchor on KLAS-TV, Channel 8, the Las Vegas CBS affiliate. He also writes Voice-Acting in Vegas, a daily blog of voice over adventures, observations and technology.

Email: CourVO@CourVO.com
Web: http://www.courvo.com
Blog: http://www.courvo.biz
Twitter: http://twitter.com/courvo

Your Daily Resource For Voice-Over Success
Tell Us What YOU Think!
Please Note: Since we check for spam, there will be a slight delay in the actual posting of your comment.
Your Name:
Your Email Address (will not be published):
Your Comment:
Your Comment:
Security code:     
Comments
No comments have been posted yet. Hurry, and you could be the first!
Back to Articles
Scoop up this money-making advice from John Melley...
Inspiring interviews help your VO career
With Sean Daeley and Paul Stefano - check it out!