Stuck For Voice Over New Year Resolutions?
Here's 51 Ideas To Move Your Career Forward
By Dave Courvoisier
Voice Talent & TV News Anchor
You build your business. You set your goals. You make progress. What was priority in 2010 will be a past accomplishment in 2013.
For instance, Iíve been putting off too long the need for an efficient, workable, online, intuitive bookkeeping solution. Now that next yearís tax season is looming, Iím especially aware of my 2012 shortcomings in this area.
I WILL start out the new year with a system in place!In that spirit, Iím throwing out some ideas for you here - New Year Resolutions, if you need more.
Some might stick against the wall, and others are gonna slide right down and end up on the floor. Itís not exhaustive, nor is it all-encompassing, but it might rattle something in your brain that you forgot needed to be on the front burner.
Also, some of the stuff in the list below may be behind you Ö or too far out in front to handle in 2013. Itís neither a newbie nor an advanced list - just a brainstorming session
TAKE 10 ...
1. Time to tweak your demo?
2. Do you need to develop OTHER niche demos?
3. Does the website need an upgrade?
4. Whenís the last time you offered to help someone?
5. Howís your computer doing? Hard drive making funny sounds?
6. Whenís the last time you backed up your files?
7. Are you keeping a database of clients/colleagues/prospects?
8. What are you using for Customer Relationship Management (CRM)?
9. Whenís the last time you dusted your equipment? ;-}
10. Is this the year you get your dream mic?
TWEAK THE TEENS ...
11. Which VO events/webinars/meet-ups/mixers are you going to attend in 2013?
12. What coach or coaching will you pursue?
13. Will you tune into EWABS every Sunday?
14. Will you seek a mentor this year?
15. Is your recording and editing software doing what you need?
16. How are you handling your finances?
17. Are you setting aside a portion of your proceeds for taxes each paycheck?
18. What is your follow-up procedure for keeping regular clients happy?
19. Are YOU happy?
ON TO 20 ...
20. Do you take enough time for your family?
21. Would an intern help your workflow?
22. Time to spruce up your Social Media presence?
23. Whenís the last time you said ĎThank Youí?
24. What is your strategy for getting new clients?
25. Will you stay with online subscription sites? What is the ROI there?
26. Do you need an agent / more agents?
27. Could WoVO (World-Voices Organization) help you out?
28. Can you justify the expense of Source-Connect or ISDN?
29. Finally time to get those acting / improv classes?
KEEP GOING ...
30. Do you need a tablet?
31. What about a cloud computing solution for your files?
32. Will a regular newsletter to your clients come in 2013?
33. Are your rates due for a step-up?
34. What task will you delegate to free up time?
35. Are you in a MasterMind or Stand-up group?
36. Is an enclosed recording booth in your budget this year?
37. Did you visit VoiceOverXtra today?
38. What advantage would going / droppping union bring you?
39. Whenís the last time you called your agent to say thanks?
HOME STRETCH ...
40. Will you commit to reading Voice-Acting in Vegas every day? (just checking)
41. Which annoying habit will you conquer in your delivery?
42. Did you go paperless yet?
43. Can you do an audiobook?
44. Do you have a marketing plan thatís measurably working?
45. What part of your business should you jettison / stop, regardless of how dear it is?
46. Which colleague have you asked for a frank opinion on your sound?
47. Whenís the last time your revamped your LinkedIn / Facebook / Twitter profile?
48. How can you better manage your time?
49. Is your financial bookkeeping up-to-snuff?
50. Will you be at FaffCon FINALLY / again?
51.Are you looking for VO jobs or a VO career?
OK, what am I missing? What is YOUR priority for your VO business? Name one thing that just canít be ignored one more year, and that HAS to be done in 2013.
Have a Happy, Successful New Year!
Dave Courvoisier is an Emmy Award-winning broadcaster, writer, producer, voice actor, and the main weeknight news anchor on KLAS-TV, Channel 8, the Las Vegas CBS affiliate. He also writes Voice-Acting in Vegas, a daily blog of adventures and observations in a style thatís true to his friendly Midwestern farm roots.
Blog: www.courvo.bizTV bio: KLAS-TV bio link
Your Daily Resource For Voice-Over Success