VOICE ARTS™ AWARDS
Nominees Announced For Voice Arts™ Awards;
Many Categories, Led By Audiobook Narrations
October 10, 2014
(VOXtra) - Audiobooks dominate the award categories announced for the 1st Annual Voice Arts™ Awards
competition, yet nominees are also plentiful in categories ranging from
national and local radio and TV commercials to video game characters,
movie narration, TV program narration, Spanish language voiceover,
promos, TV animation, demo reel categories and podcasts.
Sponsored by SOVAS (Society of Voice Arts and Sciences), the international competition is designed to showcase the best work encompassing all aspects of the voice over business.
Winners of this year's competition will be announced and honored at the 1st Annual Voice Arts Awards Gala on November 9, as the kickoff event of the 5th Annual That's Voiceover career event at the Museum of the Moving Image in Astoria (New York City), New York.
At the Gala, iconic actor and voice actor James Earl Jones will receive the Voice Arts™ Icon Award for lifetime achievement.
1st YEAR ENTRIES
SOVAS reports that participants this year included entries from CNN,
NBC Sports, Kettle One, ABC Entertainment, Comedy Central, Oxygen
Network, NBA on TNT, FOX, Ovation Network and many others.
"It's an unexpected thrill to see the courageous ones who took a chance
on a new venture and put themselves into the thick of possibility," note SOVAS CEO Rudy Gaskins and Board member Joan Baker.
also took a chance on themselves," they said.
"We believe it comes down to the basic
human need to connect with others. Acknowledgement is one of the highest
forms of our humanity. It's an act of sharing and sharing is what makes
our lives complete. Awards, hugs, applause, a pat on the back, a thank
you - these acts complete us and inspire us to keep going.
"We look at the list of nominees and all the entrants whose names don't
appear here, and we feel the acknowledgement of the believers. And with
that, we too are inspired to keep going."
Competition jurors were voice over industry professionals in categories of their expertise, including Scott Brick, Michele Cobb, George DelHoyo, Dave Fennoy, Cedering Fox, David Lewis, Barbara Ransom, Frank Rodriguez, Paul Ruben, Rodney Saulsberry, Trish Scanlon, Sylvia Villagran, Janet Wilcox, Nancy Wolfson and Denise Woods.
The awards program is overseen by Steve Ulrich, a 5-time Emmy® winner, Executive Director for the SportsEmmy® Awards and the Executive Director of the Voice Arts™ Awards.
AND THE NOMINEES ARE ...
Outstanding National TV Commercial
Outstanding National TV Image Promo
- Laurie Naughton, Disney – "Aulani”, Studio Center
- Ralph Garner, Jif – "Hockey Dreams”, Studio Center
- Chris Fries, Pepsi – "Real Big Ballgame”
- Dave Pettitt, Tourism Ecuador – "All You Need Is Ecuador”
- Lori Alan and Brandon Paul Eells, Valspar – "Chameleons”
Outstanding National TV Promo Campaign
- Lisa Loeb, 2014 Kentucky Derby, NBC Sports Group
- Bill St. James, 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics, NBC Sports Group
- Anthony Mendez, Ene-Ba-A (NBA) Noche Latina Promotion
- Diriki Mack, Showtime Music Docs
Outstanding National TV Program Narration
- Michael Izquierdo, 2014 Tour De France, NBC Sports Group
- Lloyd Floyd, Formula 1, NBC Sports Group
- Chris Fries, FOX Brooklyn Nine-Nine
- Jeff Wilburn, NBA on TNT
- Alicyn Packard, Ovation Network
Audio Book Narration – Children (Ages 6 to 12), Best Female Voice
- Lynnanne Zager, Deadly Women, Discovery Investigation, Beyond Productions
- Sharon Martin, Snapped on the Oxygen Network, Jupiter Entertainment
Outstanding Local TV Commercial
- Mandy Williams, How to Catch a Bogle by Catherine Jinks, Listening Library
- Kate Winslet, Matilda by Roald Dahl, Penguin Random House Audio
Outstanding Local Radio Commercial
- Kevin Johnson, Cleveland Indians, Studio Center
- Nicole Papadopoulos, Turnseal
Outstanding Video Game Character
- JoEllen Anklam, Dominion Energy Solutions, Studio Center
- Robert Garson, Motor Werks, Studio Center
Outstanding Movie Narration (Short or Long-Form)
- Lex Lang, Dr. NEO Cortex from The Crash Bandicoot Franchise
- Michael Gough, Diablo III (Voice of Deckard Cain)
- Hana Hayes, Voice of Sarah – The Last of US
Outstanding Audio Book Narration – Biography
- Debbe Hirata, The Return of the River
- Brian Haymond, Two Worlds, One Mission
Outstanding Audio Book Narration – Teens
- Joe Cipriano, Living On Air, Joe Cipriano Promos, Inc.
- Janis Ian, The Singer and the Song, Audible, Inc.
- Kevin Pariseau, Ilium, Audible, Inc.
- Sean Runnette, Indian Hill 4: From the Ashe, Audible, Inc.
- R.C. Bray, The Martian, Podium Publishing
- Karen Chilton, Sand: Omnibus Edition, Audible, Inc.
- Julia Whelan, Until The End Of The World, by Sarah Lyons Fleming, Podium Publishing
Outstanding Audio Book Narration – Classics
- Hillary Hawkins, Desert Rice
- Rebecca Lowman and Sunil Malhotra, Eleanor & Park, Listening Library
- Kirby Heyborne, Scowler by Daniel Kraus, Listening Library
Outstanding Audio Book Narration – Mystery
- Becky Ann Baker, Dylan Baker, Bobby Cannavale, Jon Hamm, Richard Kind, Jan Maxwell,
- Gretchen Mol and Dallas Roberts, The New York Stories by John O’Hara, Penguin Random House Audio
- John Wray, The Pit and the Pendulum, StudySync.com
Outstanding Audio Book Narration – Author Performance
- Steve Rimpici, Braineater Jones
- Jayne Entwistle, The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches, by Alan Bradley, Penguin Random House Audio
Audio Book Narration – Romance
- Jim Gaffigan, Dad is Fat, Penguin Random House Audio
- Joe Cipriano, Living On Air, Joe Cipriano Promos, Inc.
- Sam Harris, Lying, Audible, Inc.
- Mary Robinette Kowal, Valour and Vanity, Audible, Inc.
Audio Book Narration – Short Story Anthology
- Sophie Eastlake, Dragos Takes a Holiday: A Novella of the Elder Races, Audible, Inc.
- Felicity Munroe and David Benjamin Bliss, Forever Black, Audible, Inc.
- Elizabeth Powers, Mile High: Up in the Air, #2, Audible, Inc.
- Steve Marvel, Teton Splendor
Outstanding Spanish Language Voiceover
- Steven Menasche, Body Parts: A Collection of Short Stories
- B. J. Novak, Rainn
Wilson, Jenna Fischer, Jason Schwartzman, Katy Perry, Lena Dunham, Mindy
Kaling, One More Thing by B.J. Novak, Penguin Random House Audio
Outstanding National TV Episodic Promo, Best Male Voice
- Luis E Garcia, Audio Demo
- Roberto Sanchez, El Señor de los Cielos Radio Launch Campaign
- Allen Alexander, Kettle One Vodka
- Fabian Toro, Toro Voice Over Reel
- Allen Alexander, Verizon/Droid
Outstanding Audio Book Narration – Crime & Thriller
- Will De Meo, 2013-14 Premier League, NBC Sports Group
- Anthony Mendez, CNN
- Anthony Mendez, Comedy Central
- David Bateson, Mighty Ships, SBS Discovery Media
Outstanding Television Animation
- R.C. Bray, Arsonist, by Victor Methos, Podium Publishing
- Edoardo Ballerini, Kill Fee by Owen Laukkanen, Penguin Random House Audio
Outstanding Promo Demo Reel
- Lex Lang, Doorman and Hundley from Curious George
- Hayley Faith Negrin, Peg+Cat
Outstanding Animation Demo Reel
- Debbe Hirata
- Dr. Sue Holstein
- Mitch Phillips
National Radio Commercial, Best Male Voice
- Natalie Beran, Animation Demo Reel
- Jay Britton, Animation Demo 2014
- Jay Britton, Video Game Reel 2014
- Steph Lynn Robinson, Animation Demo Reel
- Christina Smith, Animation Demo Reel
Best Audio Book Narration – Science Fiction
- Les Wooten, Barbasol, Studio Center
- Dave Hoffman, Krystal, Studio Center
Audio Book Narration – Fiction and Fantasy, Best Male Voice
- Matthew Frow, Jayne
Entwistle, Ione Butler, Robert Hook, Heather Wilds, Nicholas Guy
Smith, Hannah Curtis, Bruce Mann,Dark Eden by Chris Beckett, Penguin
Random House Audio
- Scott Aiello, Eve Bianco and Jay Snyder,Deadlocked 5: Aftermath, Audible, Inc.
- Daniel Davis, Jonathan
Davis, Ian Doescher, January LaVoy and Marc Thompson, William
Shakespeare’s Star Wars by Ian Doescher, Penguin Random House Audio
- R.C. Bray, Ray Chase,
Maxwell Glick, Brian Holsopple, Tamara Marston and Chris Patton,
Yesterday’s Gone, Season One, by Sean Platt and David Wright, Podium
Audio Book Narration – Fiction and Fantasy, Best Female Voice
- Ray Chase, A Warm Place To Call Home: A Demon’s Story, by Michael Siemsen, Podium Publishing
- Scott Aiello, Eve Bianco and Jay Snyder, Deadlocked 5: Aftermath, Audible, Inc.
- Derek Perkins, The Godling Chronicles: Maddness of the Fallen, Book 5, by Brian D. Anderson, Podium Publishing
- Victor Bevine, Victor Bevine
- Derek Perkins, Seven Days: The Chronicles of Lumineia, Book 3, by Ben Hale, Podium Publishing
Audio Book Narration – History, Best Male Voice
- Rebecca Lowman,Astonish Me by Maggie Shipstead, Penguin Random House Audio
- Cyndi Shope, On The Rocks by Erin Duffy
Audio Book Narration – Non-Fiction, Best Male Voice
- Edward Herrmann, The Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown, Penguin Random House Audio
- Grover Gardner,The Path to Power, Audible, Inc.
Commercial Demo Reel, Best Male Voice
- Alex Hyde-White, Return to the Baltic, Punch Audio
- Scott Brick, Salt Sugar Fat by Michael Moss, Penguin Random House Audio
Commercial Demo Reel, Best Female Voice
- Greg Russell
- Jay Britton
- Darrell Felder
- David Brower
- Scott A. Johnson
Outstanding Voiceover Podcast
- Linda Fouche
- Debbie Munro
FOR MORE ...
- Dan Lenard and George Whittam, East West Audio Body Shop
- Sam Hughes, The Sound Architect
- Chuck Duran & Stacey J. Aswad, VO Buzz Weekly
- John J. Melley, The Voice Over Marketing Podcast
For more about the Voice Arts Awards and Gala on November 9, visit: www.VoiceArts.org.
For more about the That's Voiceover career event on November 10, visit: www.ThatsVoiceover.com.
Your Daily Resource For Voice-Over Success