March 17, 2008
The Audio Publishers Association (APA) today announced five finalists for The Audies® prestigious Audiobook of the Year Award. They are:
- the ground-breaking audio, Bible Inspired By…The Bible Experience (Old Testament),
- the murder mystery serial, The Chopin Manuscript,
- the series-concluding blockbuster, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows,
the satirical spoof, I Am America (And So Can You!),
the intricate children’s mystery, The Invention of Hugo Cabret.
Each title is also a finalist in at least one other Audies category. Finalists in The Audies® 29 other categories were announced last month on VoiceOverXtra (see article).
All awards will be presented at The Audies® gala awards ceremony on May 30 at The Millennium Biltmore Hotel in Los Angeles.
Considered the “Oscar race” of the audio publishing industry, The Audies®is a celebration that recognizes a multitude of published audiobooks.
The prestigious Audiobook of the Year award gives special recognition to the audiobook with the greatest impact on the audio publishing industry and is judged on criteria including marketing campaign excellence and sales achievement.
“This year’s Audiobook of the Year finalists represent how far audiobooks have come in creative packaging, innovative marketing and sales, high production quality and, as always, superb narration,” says Ellen Myrick, chair of the The Audies® judges.
“The overall diversity and uniform excellence of the nominees made the judges’ task at once more difficult and exciting.”
JUDGES' COMMENTS ...
This year’s Audiobook of the Year judges provided comments and insight into the selection of the five finalists:
The Chopin Manuscript
- By Jeffrey Deaver, Lee Child, Lisa Scottoline, Joseph Finder, David Hewson, James Grady, S.J. Rozan, Erica Spindler, John Ramsey Miller, David Corbett, John Gilstrap, Jim Fusilli, Peter Spiegelman, Ralph Pezzullo and P.J. Parrish
- Read by Alfred Molina
- Published by Audible Inc. and International Thriller Writers Inc.
- Also a finalist in the Original Work category
- Comment: “The Chopin Manuscript has 15 authors—all internationally renowned thriller writers—and one brilliant narrator in Alfred Molina. Each author added his or her own take on the story begun by Jeffrey Deaver and wrote pithy dialogue and evocative descriptions with the medium in mind. Released via download, The Chopin Manuscript was launched as a serial, building anticipation as each author stepped onto the stage for a chapter.”
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- By J.K. Rowling
- Read by Jim Dale
- Producers: Orli Moscowitz, David Rapkin Production Associate: Louis Milgrom
- Director: David Ripkin
- Published by Random House Audio Listening Library
- Also a finalist in the Male Narration and Package Design categories.
- Comment: “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is a fitting end to this best-selling series. Narrator Jim Dale adds to his remarkable and record-setting roster of characters while subtly enabling his younger characters to grow and mature, giving a truly tour de force performance.”
I Am America (And So Can You!)
- By Stephen Colbert
- Read by Stephen Colbert with Paul Dinello, Kevin Dorff, Greg Hollimon, Evie McGee, David Pasquesi, Amy Sedaris, Allison Silverman, Brian Stack and Jon Stewart
- Executive Producer: Maja Thomas
- Producers: Paul Dinello and John McElroy
- Director: Paul Dinello
- Published by Hachette Audio
- Also a finalist in the Achievement in Abridgement, Humor, and Multi-Voiced Performance categories
- Comment: “Rather than a verbatim reading of I Am America . . . and So Can You!, Colbert and producer/director Paul Dinello forged a creative adaptation that encourages fans to experience both the book and the audiobook. Although the book continues to be a huge bestseller, many thought the audiobook is superior thanks to the vocal talents of Colbert and supporting players including Amy Sedaris and Jon Stewart.”
Inspired By…The Bible Experience (Old Testament)
- Read by various narrators including Angela Bassett, Cuba Gooding Jr., Samuel L. Jackson, Denzel Washington, Forest Whitaker and many more
- Executive Producers: Ron Belk, Kyle Bowser, Lou “Buster” Brown and Robi Reed
- Directors: Lou “Buster” Brown, Wren T. Brown, Andi Chapman, Chip Hurd and Mark Swinton
- Published by Zondervan Audio
- Also a finalist in the Achievement in Production, Inspirational/Spiritual, Multi-Voiced Performance, and Package Design categories
- Comment: “Inspired by . . . The Bible Experience breathes passion and life into the best-selling book of all time. Scores of award-winning actors at peak form, a breathtaking score, realistic audio effects and an overall commitment to excellence make The Bible Experience a transcendent listening experience.”
The Invention of Hugo Cabret
- By Brian Selznick
- Read by Jeff Woodman
- Executive Producer: Cheryl Smith
- Producer/Director: Paul Ruben
- Published by Scholastic Audio
- Also a finalist in the Achievement in Production category
- Comment: “The Invention of Hugo Cabret expands the concept of the audiobook format with the innovative use of a “soundscape” to transform the Caldecott-award winning illustrations into an audio experience. The unique DVD extras include an engaging author interview plus a presentation of the original artwork. This audio program competes in a new entertainment environment and can attract both the ears and eyes of a broad audience.”
“These titles highlight another exciting year in the audiobook industry and showcase the type of enhancements that can occur with audio,” says Michele Lee Cobb, president of the Audio Publishers Association and Director of Library Marketing for BBC Audiobooks America.
The Audies ® sponsors - an integral part of the celebration - are: Arvato Digital Services Audible Inc., The Audio Partners Inc., BBC Audiobooks America, Blackstone Audio, Brilliance Audio, Coral Graphics, Hachette Audio, Harper Audio, Macmillan Audio, Random House Audio, Recorded Books, Simon & Schuster Audio, and Zondervan Audio.
For information about attending The Audies gala event, contact Diane Galante,
The APA is a not-for-profit trade organization whose primary goals are to promote awareness of the audiobook industry, gather and disseminate industry statistics, ecourage high production standards, and represent the interests of audiobook publishers. It's web site is www.audiopub.org.